Wednesday

Strawberry Salad

I love salad, especially in the summer when you don't want to heat up the kitchen or eat something real heavy. This was my latest test drive and I have to say it was great. I like to mix fruit and salad greens, so this fit the ticket. I had never made candied almonds, but these were so yummy that we could have eaten them as a snack and skipped putting them on the salad, but save them for the salad. The orange dressing is really light and mild, it doesn't over power the salad at all.  Hope you like this recipe!






Here's what you'll need:

1 package spring mix greens
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 large orange cut into small pieces
3 green onions, sliced
1 cup sliced almonds
4 T butter
4 T sugar

In a large bowl place salad greens, strawberries, orange, and green onions, you can toss or leave layered.  Sprinkle with candied almonds and Orange dressing.  That's it, your good to go!

Candied almonds:

Mix almonds, butter and sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat until the butter and sugar turn into a toffee color. Stir constantly. Dump onto a cookie sheet and let set for 10 minutes. Break into chunks and serve on salad.

Orange dressing:

1/2 t. grated orange peel
1/3 cup fresh orange juice (1 to 2 oranges)
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 T Dry Italian seasoning mix

Throw all ingredients in a blender and mix. That's all there is to it and your done.






3 comments:

  1. This looks great! I think my guys would like it too. If it ever gets above 50 here I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful -- I think I would add a little left over BBQ chicken on top too. Ileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this on the 4th and we all loved it! thanks for a great salad. I have to say, though, why spoil those amazing candied nuts with a salad??!!

    ReplyDelete